Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Good Morning Bangkok


I awoke at 6am to a knock on the door. For once, I actually fell asleep when desired and not when I had no other choice as the result of one too many drinks. By 6, I was fresh. I was ready. I had actually hoped to wake by this time although- I was imagining springing out of bed bright-eyed and bushy tailed, ready to take on my never ending list of tasks- a knock on the door would suffice. It was Trix; a friend from my previous visit to the lovely abode in which I dwell in, again.
“Smoke?”
“Uh huh,” I groggily replied. “What time is it?”
“about 6….”
“Okay.”
He sat on the edge of my mattress rolling up and asking all the questions I had promised myself I wouldn’t answer. I did, however, and the conversation led to a reminderance that I had a list. A to do list, that I was more than happy to tackle. After a couple of smokes and a Suicide Girls video, I tore off the tag to my sports bra (bought 2 months prior) and put on my running shoes (which hadn’t been worn for well over 3 years) and declared that I was going for a run- a task on my list. This was my first run in ages, but I needed to begin somewhere. Trix said he wanted to join, so after one more smoke we were off- with a heart full of intentions and a body that was not impressed.
Upon returning I attempted to be productive. Sat in front of my computer, pulled up some links, uploaded some photos and listened to music, when my second visitor of the morning quietly opened the door. I looked up slightly and said hello. Silence followed. I stopped what I was doing and glanced up, back down and up again. It took a few seconds for my mind to process what was going on, when suddenly I realized it was Jan. One of the most beautiful people I have ever met. He was here, standing in my doorway, at 8:30 in the morning. I immediately jumped up and wrapped my arms around him laughing and spouting questions like a 12-year-old girl.
I met Jan on my 25th birthday in North Goa. It was an amazing day. Prior to then I was feeling ill and staying in Delhi. I decided that if I were to be sick on my birthday, I may as well be sick by the beach. So, I booked a flight, hopped on a plane and arrived at a small hostel in Anjuna named Evershine. By pure coincidence another traveler I had met in Koh Phi Phi, 9 months prior, was staying at the same hostel! Via facebook, he was aware it was my birthday as well as my obsession with oceans.  Thus he organized a dinner directly on the shore with a handful of guests who were sharing the dorms with us.
As soon as I saw the ocean, I stripped off my dress and went running into the sea. Jan joined me and the two of us laughed and dove into as many waves as we could before settling back at the dinner table, dripping wet and smiling. After this, the two of us rented a motorbike and set out for the beaches along the Southern shoreline of the Arabian Sea. Needless to say our time together was amazing, however, short lived. His visa expired 10 days after meeting and I was, once again, saying goodbye to someone who had changed my life for the better.
We kept in touch via email and, by pure chance, realized we would both be in Bangkok at the same time, for a total of 24 hours. And here he was, standing in my doorway. We spent the day chatting about dreams, hopes, aspirations, places we’ve seen, places we hope to see, and everything in between. It was lovely. 
I said goodbye to him yesterday. And for the first time in a long while, I cried. Not dramatically, I simply excused myself, walked into the bathroom, broke down, regrouped and came back dry eyed with a not-to-convincing smile on my lips. That’s the thing about traveling. You are constantly experiencing the most wonderful moments, meeting the most wonderful people and seeing some breath-taking sights but, no matter what, you must always say goodbye to each and every one of them. 

It was refreshing and painful simultaneously. I would never trade the moments and memories I have collected, though I look forward to the day when the weeks, months and years provide the same faces, scenes and surroundings day in and day out. 


song of the day:      Goodbye by Puerto Muerto

http://www.myspace.com/puertomuerto/music/songs/goodbye-38698058



1:Jan, attempting to see the world from an alternate perspective (Palolem, Goa, India)
2. Taking a break from the bike (Anjuna, Goa, India)



No comments:

Post a Comment