Friday, January 7, 2011

Sticks and Stones

I spoke to a guy from South Africa yesterday.. He asked me what I do and what I want to do. I told him my hypothetical plans and he looked at me and said, "That's just a hobby. That's not a viable way to make money. That's not a career. You do realize this right? There are so many dreamers out there. But you're smarter than that, right? That's your hobby."
I looked him directly in the eyes, smiled and excused myself from the room.
When I entered my bedroom, I just sat. I sat and I thought about his words and my words and they all just started to jumble together so I opted to have another beer. Not the best solution, but certainly the fastest and easiest.
To say that wanting to create an NGO that supports art and in turn the art supports the NGO, is anything but a hobby. Right? I always thought hobbies were things you do for yourself, when you're not at work, that you don't expect to make anything from. And, as for photography, who's to say that's not a profession? Are all the photographers, journalists, musicians, actors, directors, artists, dancers all just hobbyists?
Of course not!
Oi... I know I should take certain comments with a grain of rice, but it came at a time where I was already in a near panic. I sincerely don't understand people who use their words to create doubts and fears in others. Especially when your words can do exactly the opposite. They can carry, support, encourage, teach and calm. Why would anyone opt for the prior?

No comments:

Post a Comment